Monday 6 August 2012

Street Feast London

Soooo... last Friday, some friends and I finally went to Street Feast London in Dalston. Despite living across the road (literally, across the road) various trips and activities have so far conspired to keep me away from this 'foodie' (hate that word!) mecca!
I have to say, I was a little disappointed that there were no takoyaki on my visit, however I'm going to take that as a reason to visit again, possibly this Friday...


First up was wine! Not entirely sure what it was, other than some form of Garganega Pinot Grigio, but I can say that it was £14 for the bottle from the bar and it was pretty damn good for that much.
Now, Harry and I decided the best plan of attack was to share portions, so we could get even more food. We took it in turns to choose, much to my consternation at first, as I'm a bit of a picky eater! We went for the pulled pork bap from the Ribman first:

Sorry to pinch a photo from the Street Feast website, but I didn't have my camera with me, and as a diehard Blackberry fan, I've accepted that my phone will never have a great camera.
The pork was lush, soft and melting and with a hint of McDonalds barbecue sauce (which is a massive compliment, believe me!) Even as a non-pork fan, this won me over, not quite as much as the Iberico pork I had at Dabbous last week, but for significantly less money, it was pretty awesome.

Next up was a Bare Grillz "Rare blood beef wrap". Sadly no photo again and a 30 second google hasn't produced the goods. I can however, say the beef was tasty, although more cooked than I like, and also incessantly difficult to eat, dripping its meaty juice everywhere. There was some form of salad on the wrap, not sure what, possibly celeriac? Either way it was bloody good but the pork was still in first place.

Third dish was a few bites of a friend's jerk chicken salad from Mama's Jerk Station (would have been improved by being less, er, salady). The chicken was tasty, albeit a bit dry. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Caribbean food, finding that generally the spice/heat is quite one-dimensional and just tastes of heat, rather than chilli or cumin or anything. Perhaps I am a little prejudiced against the cuisine after an exceptionally bad take away in Lewisham, but I'm yet to have any jerk chicken, or any other Caribbean food for that matter, that's blown me away.

Lastly we had a salt beef bagel from, I believe, Beigel Bake (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). It was just WOW. Really good beef, nice soft bagel, slightly sweet, nice pickles, all vinegary and crunchy and tasting a little bit wrong but complimenting the beef. It was also my first ever time trying salt beef and I never want to eat any other beef again (except for maybe Gaucho steak...). So thank you to Beigel Bake for what may well have been a life changing experience.

In short, I loved Street Feast London. It was seriously good, nice and cheap (think we paid about £5 for each of the above) and even better, a very short stagger home with our full stomachs!

No comments:

Post a Comment