Saturday 22 September 2012

Topshop FAIL

I used to love Topshop. One of my first purchases as a teenager was a turquoise blue v-neck jumper for £18 from Topshop, and how I loved that jumper! Although I remember thinking at the time that £18 was expensive! These days, you'd be lucky to get a jumper for less than £30.

In recent years, I've really gone off the store. A combination of younger cousins shopping there (you don't want to be wearing the same clothes as a 15-year old), the poor quality clothing (buttons falling off, embellishments unravelling) and just downright unappealing clothes. They seem to veer from down right tacky (completely sheer tops, micro mini bodycon skirts) to the plain weird, looking more like fancy dress than 'fashion'. I realise that I am not the most 'fashion forward' of people, being a fan of more classic, timeless pieces. However, there's a difference between thinking "that looks great but not for me" and "who the hell would wear that?!"

When it comes to sale season, the sale rails at Topshop are always crammed full of neon, lycra, shiny, sequinned cast-offs, designated to end up as fancy dress or land fill. Personally, I think one of the reasons that Topshop has become increasingly expensive is to subsidise the design and production of some of the more 'out there' items that are only worn by a handful of people. Browsing the website earlier today, I certainly came across some rather, ahem, unusual items.

 Firstly, their bridal collaboration with Richard Nicoll. How many people would buy their wedding dress from Topshop? How many people would buy the wedding dress below?
Even as a cocktail dress, it's unbelievably naf and tacky. It's a terrible fit on the model too. Unsurprisingly, it's in the sale - available in every size.
Richard Nicoll bridal collection, £150 (from £250)

This skirt is from the collaboration with J.W. Anderson. I like the print, but a quilted skirt? Really? How many people would wear a quilted skirt? I suppose it's handy if you sit at an uncomfortable chair all day.

J.W. Anderson, £69.99
I don't really know what to say about this final item. Even my 15-year old cousin would think she was too old for it. A reviewer said the fabric was so thin you could see your underwear through it. Nice.
O.M.G. Yours for £32
Of course, Topshop still has a few good items. But I feel like other stores, such as Zara and Mango, are the same price, better quality, and with many more interesting, unusual yet wearable items. Maybe I've just grown out of Topshop, but I can't be the only one who wonders if their designers are on acid?!

No comments:

Post a Comment